Passport FAQs

Licenses and Certificates

Passport FAQs

Passport FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I pay for my passport with cash?

No, passports can only be paid for using check, money order or cashier's check. *Passport Processing Fees ($35 per application) can be paid using cash, in-state check, money order, cashier's check or credit cards.

 What documents are required to get a passport?

To apply for your passport, you will need the following:

• DS-11 (Passport Application)

• Original or Certified Birth Certificate w/ parental information shown

• Check or Money Order

• Passport Photo’s with a white or light gray background (CVS, Walgreens, Walmart)

• State or Government Issued ID

 How soon can I get my passport?

• Routine Service 4-6 weeks

• Expedited Service 2-3 weeks

To obtain your passport sooner, please contact the U.S. Department of State's Regional Passport office located at 230 Peachtree Street, Atlanta, GA 30303. 1-877-487-2778. You must be within a 14 day window of your travel date and have proof of travel.

Can a 16 or 17 year old apply for a passport without an adult present?

Children ages 16-17 with their own identification can apply for a passport by themselves; however, it is recommended that at least one parent appear in person with the child to identify him/her and show parental awareness.

Can I renew my passport at the courthouse?

Yes, if it was issued over 15 years ago, You can renew by mail if all of the following are TRUE:

•Your most recent US passport book is undamaged and can be submitted with your application •was issued within the last 15 years 

•Was at least 16 years old when your most recent passport book and/or card was issued

•Was issued in your current name, or you can legally document your name change with original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, or the government issued document evidencing your legal name change

What is the difference in a passport book and a passport card?

•US Passport Book-is valid for International travel by air, sea, or land.

•US Passport Card-is valid when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, The Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. NOT VALID FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL BY AIR

How long is a passport good for?

Passports are good for:

•10 years for adults

•5 years for minors under age 16

Can I get my passport processed at the courthouse if I am traveling in less than 2 weeks?

No, however you may contact the official Department of State website at or contact the National Passport Information Center (NPIC) via toll-free at 1-877-487-2778 (TDD: 1-888-874-7793) and Customer Service Representatives are available Monday-Friday 8a.m. - 10p.m.  Eastern Time (excluding federal holidays).  Automated information is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  For life or death emergencies (after hours) 1-202-647-4000 •

What is the fee for a passport?

The passport fees for applicants are as follows:

•Routine Service for adults age 16 and older-$110, for minors $80 

•Expedited Service for adults $170, for minors $80

•Overnight Return Service from US Dept. of State, adults $186.48 and minors $156.48 

•Separate Processing Fee for Clerk of Superior Court is $35 per application (Cash, In- state check, money order, cashier's check or credit card)

What should I do if I lose my passport?

• Apply in person with a DS-11 and DS-64 forms found in the Acceptance Facility or on