Expungements FAQ

Record Expungements FAQs

What is Record Restriction?

Record restriction is a process that restricts eligible records on your official criminal history report from public view and makes them visible only to law enforcement for criminal justice purposes.

Who is eligible for Record Restriction?

If your case resulted with a non-guilty disposition, you may qualify for record restriction.

I was arrested in the city of College Park. Am I still eligible?

Anyone arrested by the Fulton County Sheriff, Fulton County Police Department or any of the 15 cities in Fulton County is eligible for record restriction consideration.

What do I need to start the process?

You must have a completed application and a valid state issued picture identification.

Where can I get a certified copy of my final disposition?

Go the Clerk’s table and give them your case number. They may be able to find and print your disposition.

What if I have a First Offender or Conditional Discharge on my case?

First Offender and Conditional Discharge sentences are required to have an Order of discharge after all conditions have been successfully completed. First Offender cases are restricted automatically after the order is filed. Conditional Discharge cases are eligible for record restriction after completion.

I applied and never received a response. Can I apply again?

If you previously applied, and have not received a response, or are still waiting, speak to one of our volunteers to be moved to a special section. We will check your name against the pending applications.

I have to leave and come back, or cannot stay the whole day. Can I still apply?

You may complete the application and drop it off. Your application will be completed as a regular application.

I am the applicant’s parent, spouse, or child. Can I start the process for them?

You may complete the application and drop it off. However, we cannot discuss criminal history with anyone other than the applicant themselves. The application will be completed as a regular application.

If My Record Restriction is complete, can anyone else see my arrest?

Record restriction removes arrests from the Employment level searches on the official Georgia Criminal History provided by the GBI. However, the case paperwork remains open. In order to seal the court paperwork, a petition must be filed with one of our judges to have the court paperwork sealed. This service will be provided on site.

My case was disposed after July 1, 2013. Do I still have to apply for Record Restriction?

Please fill out the application so that we will consider your individual circumstance.

Is the process different if my case is a misdemeanor or a felony?

The Office of the Solicitor General can only restrict eligible misdemeanor charges. Felony offenses must go through the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office at 404-612-4981.

If an employer asks if I have ever been arrested or convicted, do I have to say yes?

If the question is about an arrest, you do have to answer yes, if you were arrested. A case that has been restricted is not considered a conviction, so you may answer “no”, on conviction, if that case has been fully restricted

If I entered a plea or paid a fine on one charge, can my other charges that were filed on the same day and dismissed, be removed?

If you entered a plea or paid a fine on any charge, those charges cannot be expunged.

If my conviction is very old, can it be expunged?

The expungement process does not cover convictions, no matter the age.

Where should I file my expungement application?

Your misdemeanor expungement application can be filed with the Office of the Solicitor General.

My job has given me a deadline to get this completed; can my application process be expedited?

You can contact the misdemeanor Expungement Unit at 404-612-4800 to inquire about expedited processing.

I received First Offender but it’s still on my record. What can I do?

If you received an Order of First Offender Discharge, take it to the Georgia Crime Information Center (GCIC) located at 3121 Panthersville Road, Decatur, GA 30037. Your GCIC can be sealed. Please note, records will not be sealed without a Court order.

How can I find out if my application was received?

First contact the arresting agency to see if your application has been forwarded to our office. It is always a good idea to find out the date it was mailed to us. Once you have verified that it has been sent over, you can contact the Misdemeanor Expungement Unit at 404-612-4800.

How can I find out if my application was approved?

Please contact the Misdemeanor Expungement Unit at 404-612-4800 to seek the status of your application.

My application was denied due to not completing PTI, but I did and I have my PTI completion form. How can I rectify this?

If you were ordered to complete PTI and have your completion form but somehow did not submit it with your application, you can submit it to our office. Your application will then be reconsidered.

Once, and if, my application is approved, what is my next step?

You may request a letter of restriction, a public copy of your updated criminal history and a copy of the “Order to Seal Record” for your records.